Meet Our Board and Staff
We are looking for new board members to fill expiring terms. If you're interested in serving on the ACT board or one of our active committees, please contact the office at 605-996-9137 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pam Iverson, Office Manager
Gary Thury - President
Noel Ahlers – Vice President
Samantha Menning – Secretary
Terri Jacklin - Treasurer
ACT is currently looking for a Theatre Manager. To apply, please send resume with a cover letter and references to email@example.com or mail to ACT-PO Box 1181-Mitchell, SD 57301. Applications are being accepted until July 17, 2020.
The Area Community Theatre (ACT) is a non-profit organization that is dedicated to the development, production and ongoing growth of cultural and performing arts programs in Mitchell, SD. This includes but is not limited to full scale theatrical musicals, dramas, comedy, farce, melodrama, tragedy and vaudeville. ACT is driven by a passion to serve, hundreds of season ticket holders, and thousands of yearly guests, with experiences that transport them to a different place and time in theatrical production.
Our theatre provides recreational and entertainment needs to our patrons. The scope of our operations includes operating building, productions, concessions and other outside performances available to the theatre during the off-season. This position is an hourly position working an average 40 hours a week.
- Provide leadership and development of the long-range plans for ACT operations in conjunction with the board of directors.
- Prepare annual budget for ACT in coordination with Board Treasurer and Finance Committee.
- Oversee the day to day use of annual budget to create a fiscally responsible organization.
- Prepare all accounts receivable, but not limited to donations, gifts and all theatre sales and deposits to the bank.
- Prepare and pay upon board’s approval all accounts payable, payroll, or other items as instructed by the Treasurer.
- Provide necessary materials for auditors and present audit to the board at monthly meeting when received.
- Maintain ticketing software and sell tickets to patrons.
- Maintain and update patron database on a regular basis.
- Establish a professional working relationship with all ACT supporters through ad promotions, sponsorships and donations.
- Public speaking to promote ACT to clubs and organizations in the Mitchell community and before performances.
- Prepare all marketing materials for the theatre including mailers, newspaper, printed ad, posters, TV, website, social media and any other format deemed necessary.
- Distribution of advertising materials for upcoming performances-includes social media, newspaper, radio, chamber, posters and others.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and materials for ACT and order as needed. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Prepare and submit grants; request ACT Board approval before working on grant requests and submitting grants.
- Prepare and present on all theatre issues at monthly board meetings.
- Manage ACT schedule for rehearsal times, rentals, and coordinate set up and tear down of all such events.
- Maintain consistent box office hours, including open operation times as agreed to by board of directors.
- Cleaning as needed before and after performances (includes lobby, restrooms and concession areas).
- Present for all Pepsi Cola Theater events including some nights and weekends.
- Keep all facilities in good repair and in an orderly condition, and schedule any necessary repairs as needed.
- Maintain a list of volunteers to contact for help during performances (recruit and train volunteers).
- Maintain a working knowledge of all sound and light equipment for ACT.
- Prepare rental contracts/agreements for outside parties.
- All other duties as assigned by board vote or at the discretion of the executive committee.
- Follow all guidelines laid out in the “Employee Handbook”, “MACT Drug and Alcohol free work place”, “MACT Work Place Harassment Policy”
Preferred Skills: 3 years accounts payable/receivable, Quickbooks, Publisher, grant-writing experience, Microsoft Office programs-word, excel, outlook. Ticketing software experience a plus. Must be able to multi-task; this position requires excellent organizational skills. High school diploma required. Advanced degree in business or accounting preferred but willing to train the right candidate.